[Dovecot] ldap passdb + mdbox

dmiller at amfes.com dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Nov 23 17:45:30 EET 2010

 On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:33:47 +0000, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

>> > The symlink isn't very useful. It'll just cause extra LDAP
>> > connections
>> > to be created, since that userdb is used only for iteration anyway
>> > and
>> > iterations are always executed in their own separate processes
>> with
>> > separate LDAP connection.
>>
>>  Ok - I've returned to my normal state of confusion.  Prefetch
>>  documentation says I need an explicit userdb for LDA/LMTP use.
>
> Right.
>
>> And
>>  somewhere I read I wasn't supposed to use the exact same filename
>> for
>>  both userdb & passdb - but a symlink was good.  What should I use
>>  instead?
>
> If you use the same filename, Dovecot uses the same LDAP connection
> for
> userdb and passdb lookups. Whether that's good or bad depends on the
> situation. In your case it simply creates an extra LDAP connection
> for
> userdb lookups, which is never used.

 Going back and reading the docs...again...

 Auth-binds recommends the different connections for asynchronous
 lookups to be faster - but since I'm using prefetch no userdb lookup is
 ever performed, so it's a wasted connection...got it.  Might want to add
 a note to that effect in the auth-binds doc section, "This optimization
 does not apply when using Prefetch for the userdb, as no lookup is
 performed and having a separate LDAP connection defined for userdb use
 is a waste."

 --
 Daniel