[Dovecot] doveadm purge output

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Wed Nov 24 03:42:03 EET 2010

On 11/23/2010 5:26 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 12:35 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

>>> ..
>>>
> Continuing testing.  Examining the mail folder on disk using 'ls
> -alrt' reveals:
>
> Delete a message from Inbox (moves to Trash).  Only file that updates
> is 'dovecot.map.index.log' - and grows in size
>
> Perform 'Empty Trash'.  Again, only 'dovecot.map.index.log' updates -
> and grows in size
>
> doveadm dump ... reveals - no output
>
> So at the moment - I'm not losing mail, but I can't get rid of stuff
> I've deleted!  Once it's in mdbox - it's there forever!  :)

Further testing - did I mention I'm using Thunderbird for my client?

Just for fun - I used a webmail client (Roundcube) to check - and I saw
a whole bunch of deleted messages in...the Inbox!

Hmm...went back to Thunderbird, performed 'Compact' on the INBOX - not
the Trash this time - saw significant changes in index files.  Doveadm
dump output now has results too!  Tried doveadm purge - I still see no
output from the -D parameter - but the mail store is compacted to a
fraction of what it was.  I don't know if -D or -v are supposed to
provide much - but for me, I'm not seeing ANY (besides the skipped
module messages).

So...doveadm purge works if the dumb user uses his dumber client
properly (P.S. - might want to add a wiki note about this).  Back to the
original question - is 'doveadm -v/-D purge' supposed to have any
significant output?
--
Daniel