[Dovecot] dovecot is confused about mail_location

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 25 03:23:28 EET 2010

On 25.11.2010, at 0.53, Eric Raymond wrote:

>> If you installed dovecot-postfix package, it actually uses a different config file (dovecot-postfix.conf or something).
>
> root at grelber:/etc# aptitude search dovecot
..
> Nope.  In any case, if dovecot -n lies about the configuattion, that's a bug.

Newer versions (because of Ubuntu) have this warning when running dovecot -n:

Warning: Dovecot was last started using /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf, but this config is /etc/dovecot.conf

It anyway looks to me like any changes done to dovecot.conf get ignored, so it most likely isn't reading the expected config file. If dovecot isn't using the default config file, it's been given -c parameter. Does ps show dovecot process with -c pointing to different config file?