[Dovecot] iPhone leaves imap process active

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 26 06:47:43 EET 2010

On 26.11.2010, at 4.16, Jim wrote:

> A quick search of the archives didn't reveal a fix, so I thought I'd ask the list.  I was running Dovecot 2.0.2, and noticed a lot of CPU being used up.  I discovered a number of IMAP processes burning a lot of cycles, when no connections should have been active.  I traced this to the iPhone leaving the IMAP connection apparently active.
>
> I just upgraded to Dovecot 2.0.7, and I'm still seeing connections left active, but haven't seen the high CPU usage yet, but I've only been running 2.0.7 for about 30 minutes.
>
> I tried adding kill_idle to the IMAP config, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  Turning off the iPhone does kill the connection, so I know that the iPhone is really keeping the connection alive, but if I can find a way to keep these connections down, I'd really rather have that ability.

IMAP clients generally leave connections open for a long time. I've had an IMAP connection open for weeks. So I think all works as intended, although I don't know specifically how iPhone should work.

Perhaps in some distant future Dovecot could move all such idling connections to be handled by a single "idle process" to free some memory.