[Dovecot] SSL strangeness with dovecot-lda in 2.0.4

Glyn Faulkner gf515 at york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 18:36:47 EEST 2010

Hello,

First of all, thank you for developing a fantastic IMAP server!

I've just upgraded to 2.0.4 (from 2.0.1) and when I try to run
/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver (either directly from the commandline, or from
within the MTA) I get the following error:

	doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
	/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: ssl enabled, but
	ssl_key not set

I converted my old config file settings using "dovecot -c
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.orig -n > /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf" as some of the
option names had changed. The computer has been rebooted since the upgrade.

The odd thing is that "dovecot -n" says that ssl_key _is_ set:

	[gerbil at pleione dovecot]$ dovecot -n
	# 2.0.4: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
	# OS: Linux 2.6.35-ARCH i686
	listen = 127.0.0.1
	mail_location = maildir:~/Common/Maildir
	passdb {
	  driver = pam
	}
	service auth {
	  user = root
	}
	service imap {
	  process_limit = 5
	}
	service pop3 {
	  process_limit = 5
	}
	ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
	ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
	userdb {
	  driver = passwd
	}
	protocol lda {
	  mail_plugins = sieve
	  postmaster_address = postmaster at localhost
	}

Both of the .pem files do exist (they are unchanged from before the
upgrade), and are readable by root:

	[gerbil at pleione dovecot]$ ls -al /etc/ssl/*/dovecot.pem
	-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1005 Nov  2  2009 /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
	-rw------- 1 root root  887 Nov  2  2009 /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

Any advice you can give would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Glyn