[Dovecot] Force index 2.04

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 5 00:31:28 EEST 2010

On 4.10.2010, at 21.43, Henrique Fernandes wrote:

> We are trying to make user use horde mail, we are using for webmail here.
> But the first login took about 5 mins.
>
> I will look up for the most fields in horde login to make the initial cache.

Yeah. Just use doveadm to fetch those fields it wants. You can give hdr.* type of fields (e.g. hdr.foobar for Foobar: header) also to cache specific headers.

> I am using squat, it seens fair enough, is MUCH better or old searchs.

Squat is fast of course when the index is up to date. But when it's not, it's not updating it very efficiently. I think it's mostly a CPU load problem though, not disk I/O.

> But would you have a better choise ?

Some day :)

> Another question, about quota now, some people said dict quota wasn't
> working very well in dovecot version 1.
>
> What do you thinsk is best quota dict or maildir quota ? We are using maldir
> for now on.. And the mails are storaged in a shared storage with ocfs2 file
> system.

Maildir++ quota isn't highly reliable. Dict quota should be, and file backend makes it about as fast as Maildir++.