[Dovecot] 2.0.5: quota warning failing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 6 17:05:30 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 15:33 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > service quota-warning {
> >   executable = script /usr/bin/quota-warning.sh
> >   user = vmail

The process is run as this user.

> >   unix_listener quota-warning {
> >     mode = 0660
> >     user = vmail
> >     group = vmail

This is the socket permissions, i.e. specifying what other processes can
connect to it.

> Can I run the script as user root or will dovecot deny this?

Yeah, you can make the service user=root, but give only vmail user
permission to it so only processes running as vmail can connect to it.

Do you use multiple UIDs for users? An alternative to running as root
would be to use LMTP to deliver the "over quota" mail to user and use
some trick to disable quota for this. Maybe something like:

protocol lmtp {
  local_ip 127.0.0.1 {
    plugin {
      quota = maildir:user:noenforcing