[Dovecot] And again... too many open files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 6 17:11:27 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:34 +0200, Joseba Torre wrote:
> "Warning: fd limit 1024 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full load"
>
> reappeared.
>
> It's a bit weird, because my actual limits are higher. From
> /etc/security/limits.conf

These limits don't affect Dovecot at all, because they're for users that
are actually logging in (via PAM). System services get their limits
elsewhere.

> # OS: Linux 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
> release

I don't really know what the correct place to put it would be in RHEL.
One way at least that might work (I'm not sure) would be to put

ulimit -n 4096

to /etc/sysconfig/dovecot