[Dovecot] migrate machines and upgrade

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Thu Oct 7 00:18:25 EEST 2010

I am about to be migrating mail servers and have a few questions. First a little background:

Old mail server:
Fedora 11
dovecot-1.2.11-3.fc11.x86_64 installed from yum repo
mbox mail format
OpenLDAP authentication
250+ users

New mail server:
Fedora 13
dovecot-2.0.1-1_118.fc13.x86_64 installed from atrpm rpm file
Maildir mail format
OpenLDAP authentication
250+ users

I plan to use dsync on the new machine to migrate the mail off the old machine and mbox format to the new machine and Maildir. I think I read where I can do the migration without interfering with normal mail delivery and then when i get ready to do the final move I just kill dovecot on the old machine, dsync once more, and start the service on the new machine. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

And as for the configuration changed between 1.2.11 and 2.0.1, where to start? I see there is now a conf.d directory for 2.0.1. How will this tie in to the 1.2.11 config? Any pointers there?

Other option is to move the mbox mail as it sits to the new machine, install 1.2.X branch dovecot on new machine, and let the convert plugin do all the work. However I like the idea of the dsync doing the sync with minimal downtime.

Thanks in advance.

--

Donny B.