[Dovecot] lazy_expunge and moving messages

Lutz Preßler Lutz.Pressler at SerNet.DE
Fri Oct 8 14:29:54 EEST 2010

Hello,

testing the lazy_expunge plugin (with 2.0.5), I realized the
following effect, which users may not expect/understand:

As moving messages from one folder to another has to be done by
clients with the IMAP command sequence COPY STORE EXPUNGE, every moved
message is also put into the "shadow folder" of the source folder.

Maybe it's possible to extend the plugin to optionally hook into the COPY
operation, remember it somewhere with the message (simply as special/
configurable IMAP flag?), and then really expunge messages with this
flag set. What do you think? I haven't looked into the plugin interface yet.
Of course, if a user manually copies a message and deletes the source
message later (maybe having the copy deleted inbetween...), the consequence
may not be expected either...

Greetings,
   Lutz

--
Lutz Preßler  <Lutz.Pressler at SerNet.DE>    http://www.SerNet.DE/
SerNet Service Network GmbH, Bahnhofsallee 1b, D-37081 Göttingen