[Dovecot] login_* options for 1.0.15

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Fri Oct 8 17:26:29 EEST 2010

On 10/08/2010 03:02 PM, Hugo Monteiro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Although i'm aware that version 1.0.15 is rather old, that's what is
> used in Lenny, so...
>
> Either way, the setup is rather simple, regular dovecot install, with
> maildirs residing on a "local" ext3 filesystem accessed through FC to
> a SAN (2Gbps link). The server has 2 cores (with HT), so "almost" 4
> cores and 3GB of ram.
>
> A couple weeks ago we had a major number of account migrations, from
> POP to IMAP. We started to notice that in times of peaks, specially
> after lunch hour, dovecot started to get REALLY slow and closing
> client connections. A restart to the service was enough to get things
> working again.
>
> Firstly i thought about the max fd number per process, but after
> checking it turned out it was already rather large, 8192 in our case.
> I cannot observe any concerning I/O load either.
>
> Besides upgrading, are there any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hugo Monteiro.

I also forgot to mention that apart from a bug, i though that MAYBE the
login_* options could influence in this matter, hence the subject of the
message. The values i use are:

login_process_per_connection = yes
login_processes_count = 10
login_max_processes_count = 40
login_process_size = 64

Thanks again.

--
fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Divisão de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.fct.unl.pt                apoio at fct.unl.pt

fct.unl.pt:~# _