[Dovecot] strange behavior with virtual accounts and imap

Wed Oct 13 14:36:33 EEST 2010

Please don't top-post...

On 2010-10-13 7:15 AM, vladi wrote:
> info@ is postfix alias, all mail send to info@ is distributed to all
> other accounts. info@ doesn't have email in Maildir Users have
> configured POP3 account for sending email via info@ every user have
> configured IMAP account for his email and POP3 for info@ but via pop3
> cannot receive emails for info@ because postfix doesn't store email
> in info's Maildir It's a complete mistery.

Doesn't sound mysterious to me. If info@ is *only* an alias and does
*not* have its own mailbox, then each user that is included in the alias
list should receive a copy of the email in their own Inbox.

In other words, aliases are not user accounts (local or virtual) and
don't have mail delivered, so there is nothing to retrieve from 'info's
Maildir'...

> I've change the system to courier and it works fine. The Q. here is
> why Dovecot behaves strange

Courier can be installed as either just a standalone POP/IMAP server, or
as a complete solutions (it has an MTA component as well).

It sounds to me like you are confused on the MTA side, and you somehow
confirgured Courier to deliver mail to BOTH an info@ user account *and*
*also* alias it to other users.

--

Best regards,