[Dovecot] Last login tracking with login_executable

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Oct 14 17:38:04 EEST 2010

  On 14/10/2010 15:04, Denny Lin wrote:

> I was wondering if it would be possible to read the username/password
> from a Dovecot config file (like userdb/passdb/quota/expire) instead of
> using my.cnf.

In that case I think just creating a script with the password in it,
which is itself called from login process does what you need? (As Timo
just said)

In Dovecot 2 there is a move to splitting the config files up to a
greater extent, so I think it can be seen really as an extension of that
if you have one more file knocking around?

However, do still remember that you should almost certainly create a
separate database user for this task - this user can then be locked down
(eg only insert access to a single table) and in that way there is a
limit to the damage they could do even if the password were compromised?

I like people who think about security though - please consider writing
up your final solution on that page of the wiki so that there is a "best
practice" solution on there?

Cheers

Ed W