[Dovecot] Config review (2.0.5)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 15 18:12:04 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 09:51 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>
> > With v1.2 all logging also went through dovecot master process,
>
> OK. I never bothered, because I never had problems :)
>
> I think dovecot could benefit from a diagram like the "Postfix big
> picture" where all daemons are listed and their relations/dependencies.

Yeah, I guess I should draw something some day. :)

> My idea is to turn back on logging and then trace the dovecot/log
> process using
>
> strace -p PID -c

-tt is also nice.

> but not today, I'd rather do this on the weekend.

Each log line is written in a separate write() call. This would be a bit
tricky to change to buffer the writes.. But I did get rid of some
unnecessary time() + stat(/etc/localtime) calls with:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/4933c3095ee2
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/e68366e88099
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/80097e5c38e9