[Dovecot] Linux Bootup: Dovecot Failure

Christopher Metter christopher.metter at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Oct 24 00:02:25 EEST 2010

  Hi there!

Im using a dovecot system in combination with postfix(with dovecot lda)
and ldap. Till today it ran well, but before switching to live, i did
some system updates and at the reboot following message occured:

Starting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecoUnexpected first line <localhost:
timed out, nothing received>

(First it says: "Starting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecot ", but then
something fails and overrides the "t" of dovecot with "Unexpected.... ")

I don't know when this error occured first, but it only goes away if i
delete dovecot from autostart at bootup (by renaming dovecot-file in
/etc/rc2.d/ )
No error shown in /var/log/mail.* or syslog

Apart from showing this message, system is running perfectly. Users can
login, receive their mail and produce new mail-traffic with postfix ;)

ATM i really dont know what to do, im near switching to live status of
this system and that message is annoying me.
Didnt find any information on the net. Hope someone on this list can
give an helpful advice

Dovecot version: 1.2.15

Greetings from Germany,
Christopher Metter