[Dovecot] fallocate and glibc 2.10

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Sun Oct 24 17:45:02 EEST 2010

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:10:08 +0100
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> articulated:

> On 22.10.2010, at 19.22, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > In glibc 2.10 (32 bit) fallocate() exists but fallocate64() doesn't.
> > When _FILE_OFFSET_BITS==64, fallocate() is a redirect to
> > fallocate64() and the program can't be linked (fails to find symbol
> > fallocate64). See http://bugzilla.redhat.com/500487
>
> Yeah, I knew about it happening also on Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> > Attached patch detects fallocate() more robustly to guard against
> > this problem.
>
> A lot of code just to work around a bug that apparently only exists
> in Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 11. Is there a reason for anyone to be
> actually using either of them? I was thinking about just ignoring
> this problem.

Assuming that this is truly an isolated issue; it is my belief that
creating a specific patch to address this issue might lead to a
regression error at some point down the line. I would suggest that you
simply ignore the issue and let the end user properly update his system
to eliminate the problem. Perhaps placing something in the Dovecot
documentation to this effect would be advisable. If the end user wishes
to patch their system to do an end run around this issue, they are free
to do so. However, they should be forewarned that they are doing so at
their own peril and sans any support from you if a problem(s) occur.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net