[Dovecot] Public Folders for spam/nospam -> don't get it

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 25 16:48:10 EEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 21:23 +0200, Denny Schierz wrote:

>   namespace {
>   prefix = INBOX/
..
> namespace {
>   hidden = no
>   inbox = no
>   list = children
>   location = maildir:/home/vmail/public:LAYOUT=fs
>   prefix = public/
>   separator = /
>   subscriptions = no
>   type = public
> }

This configuration looks correct, but if clients are using INBOX/ as
namespace path, then the public/ isn't visible.

> # cat /home/vmail/public/dovecot-acl
> anyone lrp, also in subfolders spam/nospam

Looks correct to me.

> I tested several configurations, but nothing works. Sometimes I can see
> the folders, but can't subscribe them (invalid/unknown namespace),
> sometime I don't see the folders ...

I think this is more likely a client problem. You could verify by
talking IMAP protocol directly:

telnet localhost 143
a login user pass
b list "" *
c subscribe public/spam
d lsub "" *

If all of those return correct info, it's a client problem. One thing
you could do is to set the public namespace's prefix to INBOX/public/
although that's kind of ugly too.

If the IMAP commands are also returning wrong info, set mail_debug=yes
and show the logs.