[Dovecot] Dovecot Linux 2 Dovecot OSX migration

Bradley Giesbrecht bradley.giesbrecht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 20:45:10 EEST 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Am 25.10.2010 um 18:14 schrieb Bradley Giesbrecht:
>
>> When I moved from EIMS to Dovecot I used imapsync. It worked well
>> but might be an issue if your user base/data is very large.
>
> Hi, this is not the case. Maybe around 4GB of data.
>
>> I help maintain some of the mail related ports at MacPorts.
>> http://www.macports.org/
>
> Ah, cool. Yes, I just got my hands on macports. Very nice stuff!
> Open-source with a Apple-Like simple approach.
>
>> Are you going to be using the Dovecot pre-installed on OSX 1.6 and
>> manage users with Apples server tools?
>
> Yes, exactly. That's the plan. Or is it not wise to do? Any
> reasonable objections against this approach?

There are pros and cons. I have not used OSX Server since 10.4 so I'm
not a good source on how well current Apple tools work. Generally the
issue has been when wanting something the GUI tools do not provide
when editing conf files manually you run the risk of Apple Software
Updates wiping out the changes to the conf files or the GUI tools not
parsing them correctly.

>> If not, consider using MacPorts to install the pieces.
>
> I'm not sure if I can use the MacPorts stuff to "update" the default
> installed versions of if this would mess up the system completely.
> Overall, I want to keep it as simple as possible.

You can not. MacPorts installs software to a prefix, default /opt/local.

We have a nice email list that would be a better place to talk about
MacPorts.

http://www.macports.org/contact.php#Lists

I suggest the Users list. This will be a good resource even if you
decide to do things on a Mac without MacPorts.

I feel I'm straying from Dovecot as a subject so email me directly
with Mac or MacPorts questions and I will try to get you hooked up
with the common resources we use.

Bradley Giesbrecht