[Dovecot] v2.0.6 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 26 02:02:56 EEST 2010

On 25.10.2010, at 23.42, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> It's only for mdbox because they have a known upper size
>> (mdbox_rotate_size). With mbox the only possibility would be to let
>> admin specify how large the files should be preallocated to. And how
>> would the admin know? And should different mailboxes have different
>> preallocated sizes? For example "Drafts" mailbox is unlikely to ever
>> grow very large. And in any case, if you care about performance mbox
>> isn't really the best choice.
>
> Is it still the best choice performer WRT full text search?

mdbox with the preallocation enabled would probably perform better.

>  I use fts
> squat, but it seems whenever I do a body search of an IMAP folder that
> the index is cold, thus I don't often get the benefit of the index.

Yeah, Squat's indexing speed is way too slow. It needs some kind of a redesign there.

> Would maildir, dbox, or mdbox give better performance here with a cold

The performance problem is with Squat itself, not with the mailbox format.

>  Full text search is the main reason I've stayed with mbox.  I've
> never noticed any performance issues (not after you recommended I enable
> very_dirty_syncs that is).

The main problem I see with mbox is that it's rather fragile and I know there are some bugs in Dovecot causing it to crash in some situations with mbox.

> Anyhow, it sounds like even if it could somehow be done with mbox it
> would be pretty difficult to implement, and not provide much ROI as
> apparently few OPs still use mbox.

Right. If someone wants to do it, it should be somewhat easy to patch it in :)