[Dovecot] Upgrading from 1.2.8 to 2.0.6: INBOX not selectable in Thubderbird (greyed and italic)

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Oct 29 12:23:57 EEST 2010

Michele Bergonzoni put forth on 10/28/2010 11:11 AM:
> I recently upgraded from 1.2.8 to 2.0.6, I am using Maildir, and
> Thunderbird is showing the INBOX grayed out and in italics, and does not
> show new messages in it (it shows messages previously downloaded). This
> occurs when Thunderbird is restarted (if I upgrade dovecot, TB keeps
> working fine until I shut it down, and at next startup it greys out the
> inbox). All the subfolders of INBOX work fine. Accessing with horde+imp
> webmail works fine. I'm using TB 3.1.6
>
> After some traffic capturing, The first difference I see in the IMAP
> exchange is the answer to
>
> 6 list "" "INBOX"
>
> Which for 1.2.8 is:
> LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
>
> and for 2.0.6 is:
> LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX"

What errors are in your Tbird Activity Manager?  Those may be helpful.

Note that the auto update for 3.1.6 was just a day or two ago.  Is the
update a factor or merely coincidence?  Upgrading a server component as
client component simultaneously is a recipe for disaster WRT
troubleshooting problems: the proverbial finger pointing.

--
Stan