[Dovecot] Linux Bootup: Dovecot Failure

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Oct 31 20:04:08 EET 2010

Christopher Metter put forth on 10/31/2010 11:46 AM:
>  Hi again,
>
> sorry for late response, but I was busy doing other things.
>

> Thanks Stan, your tip fingering ntp to be the culprit was right!

Was ntpd really the problem or were you missing a loopback interface?
What is the output of 'cat /etc/network/interfaces'?  Do you see:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

or something similar?

> After reading different FAQs on ntp and reconfiguring /etc/ntpd.conf, I
> just purged ntp AND ntpdate (Don't ask me why both were installed),
> rebootet and everything was fine.
> After just installing ntp and another reboot everything still was okay
> and now I dont have any ntpserver starting ;)
> I assume the installation of both ntp and ntpdate was the problem.

ntpd and ntpdate serve two different functions, well, actually the same
function but in two different ways.  Most Linux distros have both
installed automatically.  Removing ntpdate won't fix a config problem
with ntpd.  ntpdate is an interactive (command line) utility.  It can be
setup to run via cron once or twice a day to sync the time to an ntp
server instead of using ntpd.  Best practices calls for ntpd however,
and recommends against using cron'd ntpdate.  The latter puts too much
stress on the world's ntp servers when everyone does it that way, since
most OPs that did so scheduled syncs at noon and midnight.  So the ntp
servers would get flooded with millions of requests in a period of a few
seconds, twice a day--not good.

You really, really need accurate time on a mail server, which means you
should have ntpd configured properly and running.  On most Linux distros
today all you have to do is install the package and the install script
takes care of the rest.  You may need to configure your pool servers
manually.  For you those should probably be:

0.de.pool.ntp.org
1.de.pool.ntp.org

Just for fun, what is the complete output of (executed on the mail
server shell of course):

ntpdate -q 0.de.pool.ntp.org

This will make a query without changing the local machine time.  It will
tell us the current error of your clock.

> Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome.  Now let's make sure we get your system time sync
running properly. :)

--
Stan