[Dovecot] Help with Public Folder Configuration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 1 22:04:28 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 15:38 +0530, Joy wrote:
> plugin {
>   acl = vfile:/usr/local/dovecot/dovecot-acl/acl
> }

Having dovecot/dovecot-acl/acl/ as the path to global ACLs seems a bit
redundant (why not /usr/local/dovecot/acl/?).

> after making this configuration i also created subfolder inside
> /var/mail/public
>
> which looks like following:-
>
> mail1:~# less /var/mail/public/
> dovecot-acl-list  .Public/
> mail1:~# less /var/mail/public/.Public/Maildir/
> cur/     new/         tmp/

The Maildir/ part is too much there. You should have:

/var/mail/public/.Public/cur/
/var/mail/public/.Public/new/
/var/mail/public/.Public/tmp/

> I am expecting that .Public folder will be visible to all but no one
> will be allowed to delete and make any change in that folder, I am
> also using global ACL in my configuration.

You shouldn't be using global ACLs for public mailboxes. They only make
sense for private mailboxes. Instead the ACLs should be in:

/var/mail/public/.Public/dovecot-acl