[Dovecot] minor director issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 2 17:06:59 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 14:22 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
> I noticed 2 minor things with the director.
>
> 1) if I start 2 directors, but in 1 of them I dont add the other as a
> director_servers,  they both start spamming the logfiles really really
> fast. It seems there is no backoff mechanism in the protocol between
> directors.

I've added some delays to a few places, but I guess not enough. I'll see
about fixing this.

> 2)
>
> user                        mail server ip expire time
> cor                         194.109.26.171 2010-09-02 14:32:13
> <unknown>                   194.109.26.172 2010-09-02 14:33:13
>
> Why does it say 'unknown'?  That session is active, im manually logged in with telnet, issued a login and a select inbox.  The first one is a normal mail client login.

Director doesn't know what users are logged in, only CRC32 of their
username. So doveadm first gets a list of all users, adds them to hash
table, then gets the list of CRC32s of users from director and maps them
to usernames via the hash table. <unknown> means that the user wasn't
found from the hash table.

So .. my guess is that doveadm didn't get a full list of usernames. And
you probably don't even want it to read those 2 million (or whatever)
user records from SQL? :)