[Dovecot] Documentation for "altpath" / "altmove" / ?"Alternate storage"

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Fri Sep 3 13:13:02 EEST 2010

I was thinking about documentation for alternate storage.

We have a few mentions at:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Altmove

But I was thinking it would be helpful if there could be a page about
alternate storage.

I could write the page, but I currently have so many unknowns that I
think it would be better to gather some more information before writing
the first draft.

Note that I don't necessarily fully understand all the surrounding
concepts, so I could have written something below which is based on a
(vague) belief. Please correct me if I am wrong, or even if it's sort-of
right but doesn't quite hit the point squarely.

We might want to have a name for the wiki page. Perhaps
"AlternateStorage"? Of course if it only applies to dbox, then another
idea is to make it a section on the page "MailboxFormat/dbox". All
suggestions gratefully received.

I would be interested in an overview of what alternate storage is. It
seems to be a way of transparently moving message data to alternare
storage, with the idea that the alternate storage may be on a different
filesystem which may be cheaper and/or slower than the main storage,
which may be an economic way to store messages where the fastest access
to them is less important. It is transparent in as much as IMAP/POP
users will not normally be able to tell if any given message has been
moved to alternate storage. A single mail folder can end up containing a
mixture of messages stored in main storage and alternate storage.

(Another question begged here of what consistent term should be used to
refer to the main storage. Could be "main storage", "normal storage",
"ordinary storage".)

Also I would be interested to know the development/stability status of
alternate storage: experimental / alpha / beta / stable.

Also I would be interested to know the applicability against mailbox
formats: mbox / maildir / sdbox / mdbox / cydir.

Also I would be interested to know which data gets moved to the
alternate storage, and which data stays in the main storage:
message-data / control-data / index-data / combined-control-and-index-data.

Also I would be interested to know how data can be moved to alternate
storage. Seems to be that is only done by invocation of "doveadm
altmove". There is a page for that already so we can link to that.

Also it would be interesting to have some idea of how it works. For
example there might be an "alternate storage" flag in the indexes, or
Dovecot tries the main location first and if not found there then it
tries the alternate storage. Just a brief overview, and any pertinent
ramifications of that.

Bill