[Dovecot] Alternate mail_location prefix for homedir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Sep 3 17:17:10 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 12:37 +0200, Henry C. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm switching from UW-imap to dovecot 2.0.1 and was wondering about the mail_location config:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/.:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> Notice '.' in '~/.' above.  This seems to resolve the ~/mail problem when switching from
> UW-imap (ie, no 'mail' prefix).
>
> doc/wiki/Migration.UW.txt doesn't mention using '~/.', so I was wondering whether there are
> any gotchas anyone can think of.

So I guess by "~/." you mean same as "~/" which is also the same as "~".
The problem with that is, as always, that users can store mails
everywhere in the home directory and there may be other non-mail files
in there messing things up.

You can either keep it as it is now, or you could think that about
finally cleaning things up along this switch. :) The other ways to solve
the ~/mail problem is
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces#Backwards_Compatibility:_UW-IMAP