[Dovecot] LAYOUT=maildir++ under mbox?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 6 17:07:03 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 12:37 +0100, William Blunn wrote:
> Whilst documenting LAYOUT=maildir++ under dbox, that got me thinking:
>
> Can we specify :LAYOUT=maildir++ with mbox?

Yes, ever since LAYOUT was added.

> If I have it right, this should then remove the problem of not being
> able to have messages and mail subfolders in the same mail folder.

Yes. Also it might be possible to use DIRNAME with LAYOUT=fs to solve
that problem, but I'm less sure about that. I anyway doubt most mbox
users want to switch to a whole new layout.

> So for example if we had mail location specified as:
>
> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:LAYOUT=maildir++
>
> we would have files:
>
> ~/mail/inbox - file storing messages in INBOX
> ~/mail/.foo - file storing messages in mail folder "foo"
> ~/mail/.foo.bar - file storing messages in mail folder "foo/bar"
>
> and I think all of Dovecot's indexes would go under ~/mail/.imap

I think it'll give an error (by trying to write to
~/mail/.foo/.imap/dovecot.index) unless you also specify :INDEX=
directory separately.