[Dovecot] extended search

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 19:42:16 EEST 2010

  Hello,

is it safe to use arg_new_human_date() from
src/lib-storage/mail-search-register-human.c instead of arg_new_date()
inside src/lib-storage/mail-search-register-imap.c?

The benefit is ability to use interval based search rules, e.g., SINCE
2days. I run it for couple of days and looks fine, used for virtual folders.

This kind of search I missed for usage on laptop - I have pretty huge
inboxes, thunderbird was over 20% CPU all the time. I switched on using
dovecot locally and thunderbird connected to it, my common searches
(before: thunderbird's "save as folder" searches) are virtual folders.
Everything works great, cpu usage is less than 1% (I have to say that I
also moved many filtering rules (for sorting incoming messages to
folders) from TB to be done by imapfilter, but the reason was mainly
sorting flexibility and rescanning folders).

If all is safe, would it be considered for addition in the future
version? The patch is trivial, I can leave with patching every release,
but I believe is a nice thing to have. Afaik, should not break IMAP
SEARCH specs, being an extended version. An alternative would be to add
'X-' commands (e.g., X-SINCE 2days).

Thanks,
Daniel

--