[Dovecot] Sub-Sub-Subfolders not shown after converting from maildir to mdbox

Patrick Westenberg pw at wk-serv.de
Tue Sep 7 01:54:48 EEST 2010

Hi again,

I just recognized a problem concerning subfolders after converting from
maildir to mdbox. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey don´t show folders that are
subfolders of subfolders.

Have a look at the filesystem:

discovery:/var/mail/domain.tld/patrick/mdbox/mailboxes/Folder1/Folder2#
ls -l
insgesamt 8
drwx------ 2 vmail vmail 4096  5. Sep 23:42 dbox-Mails
drwx------ 3 vmail vmail 4096  5. Sep 23:42 Folder3

Using Thunderbird or Seamonkey, Folder1 and Folder2 are listed and can
be subscribed to but Folder3 never gets listed.
If I create Folder4 as a new subfolder from Folder2 it works, so the
problem only exists with existing folders from converted maildirs.

I had to use a namespace for the convert from my old Courier IMAP.

Any hints?

Regards
Patrick

# 2.0.1: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian 5.0.5
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = mdbox:~/mdbox
mail_plugins = quota
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = comparator-i;octet
comparator-i;ascii-casemap fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex
imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date
namespace {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   prefix = INBOX.
   separator = .
   type = private
}
passdb {
   args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
plugin {
   quota = maildir:User quota
}
protocols = imap sieve
service imap-login {
   service_count = 1
}
service managesieve-login {
   inet_listener sieve {
     port = 4190
   }
   inet_listener sieve_deprecated {
     port = 2000
   }
   service_count = 1
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/imap.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/certs/imap.key
userdb {
   args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
protocol imap {
   mail_plugins = $mail_plugins imap_quota