[Dovecot] nfs director

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Sep 7 13:34:42 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 09:50 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:

> Hi Noel,
>
> > I do take exception to be told this issue can be fixed, but NFS users
> > are not worth it, which is essentially what he told us, I dare say if
>
> I guess he told you this in private? The way i understand it the

yep, we had a discussion off-list weeks ago

> We dont use the director on our inbound servers either. We dont even use
> dovecot-lda. In our experience this isnt really a problem. The imap

thats going to be the way to go to avoid any problems, its never been a
problem anyway for the servers I manage, but currently running half only
as  postix's virtual, nearly 2 weeks now? no problems, so if we need to
go all postfix on delivery there will be no issue.

> > xs-for-all is not a welcome domain here for spam/idiots in the past it
>
> We have over 300,000 DSL users. There's always idiots. But we're very
> active in the anti-spam community. We even run multiple public mirrors
> of all kinds of blacklists. If you send us a complaint, it will get
> acted on. Scoring any largish ISP +7 in SA because you got some spam
> in the past is kinda silly :) I cant imagine blocking a whole ISP because
> you got spam from them. Wow. Our users would revolt.

I recall copious amounts of it, I'd certainly never call it "some",
though, this was a few years back, if you have cleaned up your users
(yes I too know all well there will always be idiots having also managed
a DSL based  (read as: windows infected malware weenies) ISP) then I am
prepared to suspend those rules, as you know, when a domain has problems
and only gets bigger over time, its harder to imagine there will be less
of a  problem, but, that said,  a leopard although rarely changing its
spots, can occasionally do so.

Our users have also become accustomed to the fact that we operate as,
protecting the majority, not letting any minority dictate our decisions,
we'd rather have 1K peaved off users for not getting mail, than 100K
peaved off for being constantly spammed.

> You're right, turning off indexing in the LDA has no impact whatsoever
> on the delivery side. (again, we also dont use it there). But it does have
> a slight impact on the frontend side. It means the imap servers need to
> update the indexes every time they're out of date (which is basically every
> time new email arrives). For us, this impact doesnt seem to be a problem.

Thats one thing I was not able to reproduce, but, again, not having a real imap userbase we wouldnt see issue,
as most users use pop3 only, if we changed policy and if users actually used imap, perhaps we would see a degredation.

Cheers