[Dovecot] Sub-Sub-Subfolders not shown after converting from maildir to mdbox

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Wed Sep 8 21:04:25 EEST 2010

On 06/09/2010 23:54, Patrick Westenberg wrote:
> I just recognized a problem concerning subfolders after converting
> from maildir to mdbox. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey don´t show folders
> that are subfolders of subfolders.
>
> Using Thunderbird or Seamonkey, Folder1 and Folder2 are listed and can
> be subscribed to but Folder3 never gets listed. If I create Folder4 as
> a new subfolder from Folder2 it works, so the problem only exists with
> existing folders from converted maildirs.

I can replicate this problem using Thunderbird 3.0.6 over Dovecot 2.0.1
using mdbox.

If a third level folder (e.g. "foo/bar/baz") appears on the server (i.e.
not at the bidding of Thunderbird), then Thunderbird 3.0.6 will not
notice it, even if you bring up the "Subscribe" dialog and click "refresh".

But if you create a third level folder through Thunderbird, then
Thunderbird will see it.

If the third level folder appears on the server, you can pursuade
Thunderbird to see it by manually adding the folder name to the
subscriptions file on the server and re-starting Thunderbird.

But manual IMAP looks to be right.

m LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "foo"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "foo/bar"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "foo/bar/baz"
m OK List completed.

Bill