[Dovecot] master user login dovecot 2.02 trouble / fixed

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Sep 10 00:06:47 EEST 2010

Am 09.09.2010 19:02, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Hi , i got trouble with master login
> thunderbird anounces no INBOX there at master login
>
> also telnet looks  strange
>

> normal user login
>
> 1 login ......
> 1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
> IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
> QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA
> ACL RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
> 2  list "" "*"
> 2 BAD Error in IMAP command : Unknown command.
> 3 list "" "*"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Junk"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Templates"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Archives"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
> 3 OK List completed.
> 4 logout
>
> master login
>
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] imap, pop ready
> 1 login .....*......
> 1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
> IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
> QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA
> ACL RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
> 2 list "" "*"
> * LIST (\Unmarked) "/" "INBOX"
> 2 OK List completed.
> 3 logout
> * BYE Logging out
> 3 OK Logout completed.
>
> something broken ?

ok i learned that i missunderstood what function masters are intended to
have ( googled around ), the problem with list
is caused by not having master users acl rights
can be fixed with postlogin script

like

#!/bin/bash
export MASTER_USER=$USER <<<
# a) Filesystem based timestamp in user's home directory
touch ~/last_login
# b) SQL based tracking. Beware of potential SQL injection holes if you
allow
# users to have ' characters in usernames.
#echo "update last_login = now WHERE user = '$USER'" | mysql mails
exec "$@"

it might be better to have that in the master code
at last it should be in the wiki2 as workaround
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria