[Dovecot] LMTP proxy too many DATA output timeout (perhaps)

Luca Palazzo luca.palazzo at unict.it
Fri Sep 10 10:18:21 EEST 2010

Hi All,
we are getting a lot of this message from dovecot director. They seem to
be too many.
Backend servers do not log anything and postfix logs a lot of these errors.
It seems that dovecot strategy handgling data output timeout when
proxying LMTP is or too aggressive or may have some other problem.

This error generate sometime a lot of dupicate deliveries, probably
because meanwhile real server has finished delivering the mail, proxy
drops the connection.

Another symptom, maybe related to duplicate uid patch, is that we are
receiving blank email.

What may I look further?

Regards
Luca