[Dovecot] Migrating mail from mbox to maildir using dovecot

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Sat Sep 11 22:17:54 EEST 2010

On Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:28 AM CDT, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:

> On 2010-09-11 3:14 AM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:
> > Currently our mail server is setup to use postfix and dovecot,
>
> Version of DC?

On the old mail server it is: dovecot-1.2.11-3.fc11.x86_64
On the new mail server we are migrating to it is: dovecot-1.2.14-1.fc13.x86_64 currently

Is there a repo out there that I can install 2.0 from? The only one I have found is atrpms and it is a pain to get conflict worked out with other packages.

> > I have searched until blue in the face and cannot find a 100%
> > working solution that doesn't require alot of manual interaction to
> > move the mail boxes from mbox to maildir.
>
> Dovecot 2.0 would use dsync, and it should be really easy and avoids
> most problems the other methods can have (haven't used it yet myself,
> but will on a system I'll be upgrading soon)...
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat
>
> But either way, to avoid doing each one manually you'll need to use some
> scripting magic. If I were doing it, I'd probably write a script  (or
> more likely hire someone to do it for me, since my scripting skills are
> rudimentary at best) that would run at the least busy time of day for
> your system, and iterate through the user:
>
> disable login
> kill any existing processes for that user
> run dsync to convert everything
> re-enable login
> rinse, repeat.
>
> > I also tried the convert plugin located here:
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Convert but it kept erroring about
> > not able to convert the box and exiting.
>
> Did you ask here about the errors? Timo could probably address any
> problems your having very quickly.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

 Most likely I will need to stick for now to the 1.x branch and just use the convert plugin. I will dig for the error again and see what it was. I will send a new message with the details on that. Thanks for the input.

--

Donny B.