[Dovecot] Proper use of convert plugin?

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Sat Sep 11 23:22:19 EEST 2010

I am trying to convert from mbox to maildir on our mail server here at work. The specs are as follows:

Fedora 11 x86-64
dovecot-1.2.11-3.fc11.x86_64
postfix-2.5.6-3.fc11.x86_64
dovecot-managesieve-1.2.11-3.fc11.x86_64

We are currently using mbox format with the users INBOX set to /var/spool/mail/username and other mail is in /home/username/Mail. I would like to migrate to maildir format. I tried using the convert plugin as the wiki suggested:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = convert
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = convert
}
plugin {
  convert_mail = mbox:/home/%u/Mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
}

When doing this I get this scrolling in the /var/log/maillog...

Sep 11 14:41:38 roark dovecot: IMAP(username): Mailbox conversion: Lock creation timeouted
Sep 11 14:41:39 roark dovecot: IMAP(username): Fatal: Mailbox conversion failed, exiting

Sep 11 14:56:53 roark dovecot: POP3(otheruser): Mailbox conversion: rename(/home/otheruser/Mail, /home/otheruser/Mail-converted) failed: Directory not empty

it does this for some users only. Mine for instance never errored and completed perfectly from what I can tell (other than the new mail issue below). The server load has skyrocketed though, so that is most likely part of it.

Also, while testing this, new mail was not delivered to the maildir but rather to the old mbox in /var/spool/mail/username. The new mail never showed up until I switched the config back over to the mbox settings. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any insight

--

Donny B.