[Dovecot] Migrating mail from mbox to maildir using dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Sep 12 05:51:13 EEST 2010

Donny Brooks put forth on 9/11/2010 2:14 AM:

> We need this done asap as our backups are killing us with the large mbox style files.

Does your backup software not offer data deduplication?  I was under the
impression that all commercial backup software offered this feature in
modern times.  In a nutshell, if a file changes from one backup to the
next, only the part of that file which has changed is then backed up,
not the entire file.  The "master" copy and the "fragments" are then
merged during a restore.

If you don't have this feature, may I ask what backup solution you're using?

I'm not pointing you away from maildir.  It is still preferable for some
reasons in some environments.  I'm simply saying, AFAIK, maildir simply
doesn't have much advantage over mbox WRT modern (commercial) backup
software.

--
Stan