[Dovecot] Lost %d variable

Aladdin aladdin at csunv.com
Mon Sep 13 19:51:33 EEST 2010

Sorry about the top posts; I thought that was netiquette for this list, but
was reminded on another list, and now see that this list doesn't top post
either.

OK, I've checked this out, and *seemed* to fix it.  I've move on to a new
error, but will not hijack my own thread.  However, this fix has raised a
couple of questions.

I'm using exim4 with strictly system users.  As stated earlier, I just
cut-and-pasted the section from the wiki into my exim4 file, so I started
out with this entry:

command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

which according to the wiki should work.  Based on this response, I changed
it to this, which was cut from the *Virtual Users* section of the wiki:

command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $local_part@$domain  -f
$sender_address -a $original_local_part@$original_domain

This raises several questions, so, in the interest of fooling myself into
believing I understand this, I'm going to ask them:

1. As printed in the wiki and quoted by Stephan, the documentation says, "-d
<username>: Destination username. If given, the user information is looked
up from dovecot-auth. Typically used with virtual users, but not necessarily
with system users."  So, why did I have to use it here?

2. Why do the -f and -a switches have to be given?  Aren't those things
unchanged in the mail header?

TIA,
Allen