[Dovecot] dsync: mbox to maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 14 18:44:39 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 17:31 +0200, Burckhard Schmidt wrote:
> 1. autocreate
> The plugin autocreate = AutoCleanSpam is activated for lda and imap.
> There is no user with such folder.
> dsync ceates two:
>
> dsync(account): Info: AutoCleanSpam: only in source
> dsync(account): Info: AutoCleanSpam: only in dest

Hmm. I don't really see any clean way to solve this. One a bit ugly way
that would work is running dsync with -o mail_plugins= parameter where
you specify only those plugins that are actually wanted, which doesn't
include autocreate.

A perhaps good long term fix would be to rewrite the whole autocreate
plugin. Actually that's probably a good idea in any case, since now it
always wastes time and maybe disk I/O doing a "does this mailbox exist?"
check for each login.

An alternative would be to make it work similar to INBOX works, where
the mailbox itself isn't created until it's actually tried to be opened,
but it's still always listed. And then MAILBOX_LIST_ITER_NO_AUTO_INBOX
flag could be renamed to MAILBOX_LIST_ITER_NO_AUTO_MAILBOXES. dsync
already uses this flag, so this would solve the problem also.

> 2. missing skip_broken_mailboxes, skip_dotdirs
> dsync reports errors like
> Error: Failed to sync mailbox xyz: Mailbox isn't a valid mbox file
> After a few minutes dsync stops.

I don't think this is a real problem? It shows that error, but finishes
the conversion anyway.

Fixed: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/02d78c4a0a51