[Dovecot] dovecot as exchange server?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 16 20:42:22 EEST 2010

Quoting Jacek Osiecki <joshua at hybrid.pl>:

> No, the only thing I need is to simulate an Exchange server, so
> iPhone would be able to retrieve all emails instead of "last 200
> from INBOX" :)

Basically he is complaining that when you select "other" as the e-mail
server type, it only allows you to BY DEFAULT see the 50/100/150/200
most recent messages in a folder.  He noticed that when you select
"Exchange" instead of "other" this limit isn't there (it is then
actually controlled by exchange, and not the iphone).

This is simply an "iphone" feature...

Surely he can try the other options (gmail, exchange, etc) and see if
he can get any to work with his server, but that is not something I am
interested in.

Now, as a possible work around, if the user doesn't have too much mail.
Scroll to the bottom of the 200 messages, and you will see at the end
it says "Load More Messages... N messages total, M unread" where N and
M are your message counts.  Assuming those numbers are small, you can
just keep activating that until you have them all.  This would be fine
if you have a hundreds of messages, or maybe a thousand or so.  You
wouldn't really want to do this if you have several thousand though.

If that doesn't meet your needs, contact Apple, as this is purely an
Apple/iPhone UI issue, and not a mail server issue...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!