[Dovecot] sent-mail

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Sep 17 17:06:16 EEST 2010

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
> I have had a
> few users complaining that their emails are not being copied to their
> sent-mail folder.  Im not sure how widespread it is, mainly because most
> people dont check their sent-mail.

ddh, I imagine you have already checked this, but I mention it in case
you had not done so, yet.

We've had this reported but it has never - for us - been a problem
with Dovecot.  Instead, the user's settings in his/her MUA create the
problem.  TB, for example, lets users choose whether mail 'sent' in
reply to something should be placed in 'sent' folder, or in the folder
  containing the message being replied to.  So, the sent mail goes
somewhere the user did not expect, and later they cannot find it (and
panic and lose confidence in the system).  But (so far) it is always
there.  IIRC, TB always tries to place 'new thread' sent messages in
'sent'.  I'm not familiar with Outlook.

We encourage our users to store their sent messages in a suitable
'subject' folder - such as project23, or sales, or whatever - together
with inbound messages relating to that topic.  This seems to help our
users notice if 'sent' messages are missing.

Ron