[Dovecot] Problem installing latest dovecot w vpopmail

Joe @ 3ZZZ joe at 3zzz.net
Mon Sep 20 18:47:04 EEST 2010

Hello -

I am trying to migrate my dovecot installation from an older server
running version 1.x to the latest 2.0.3

When I run configure --with-vpopmail, it bombs pretty quick as follows:

./configure --with-vpopmail
checking for gawk... gawk
configure: error: vpopmail support is broken. fix it or access its db
another way.

however, vpopmail seems to be working fine, i can add domains from
vpopmail/bin/vadddomain and they show up in the database just fine.
So why do I receive this error and how can i troubleshoot?

thank you very much in advance,
Joe