[Dovecot] expire_tool trouble + howto part sasl from 1.1.7 -> 2.0.1?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 21 21:32:51 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 11:26 -0700, Igor Kowalski wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Let me smuggle 2 questions in 1 email:
>
> 1) I upgraded from 1.1.7 to 2.0.1, but couldn't get it to work, because the 'dovecot + postfix sasl howto' doesn't seem to be updated and the old sasl settings are incompatible with new version. How do I set up sasl with dovecot2 ? Is there any updated howto available?

What settings exactly are incompatible? v2.0 should have been able to
convert your v1.1 configuration, including the auth socket.

> 2) In dovecot 1.1.7: my expire_plugin seems to work fine,
>  new entries are correctly added to the dictionary, but the messages don't actually get expunged.

There were tons of fixes to expire-tool and expire plugin since v1.1.7.
It probably was just broken at that time.

> And is there a point in using expire plugin without autocreate plugin?
> Because trash can be called wastebasket for example, and then it
> doesn't work. Spam can be called Junk, and again, it doesn't work.

Yeah, that's something that can't really be helped. Usually those are
created by the email client automatically, so even if you autocreated
some mailboxes yourself it doesn't guarantee that users would actually
use those.

Also if you don't have all that many users, you don't even need to
enable expire plugin anymore with v2.0.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire