[Dovecot] Unsubscribing from public folders

aditsu aditsu at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 16:13:12 EEST 2010

Hi, I'm having problems unsubscribing from public folders - nothing seems to
happen when I do that (from Thunderbird, Squirrelmail or telnet).
I'm using Dovecot 1.2.11. I remember that this worked when I was using
version 1.1.7.

Here is an extract from an imap session:
3 unsubscribe "Public-NIB/archive/older"
3 OK Unsubscribe completed.
6 lsub "" "Public-NIB/*"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive/2008b"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive/2009a"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive/2009b"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive/older"
* LSUB () "/" "Public-NIB/archive/2010a"
6 OK Lsub completed.

And my relevant config:

namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix =
  #location defaults to mail_location.
  inbox = yes
}

namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = Public-NIB/
  location = maildir:/(some path)
  subscriptions = no  # v1.1+
}

In the meantime I checked and found a "subscriptions" file in my maildir,
then went and edited it by hand (and removed the folder I wanted). That
seemed to work, and afterwards I can subscribe/unsubscribe to that
particular folder, but still not to any other public folders.

What could be the problem, or how can I debug this?

Thanks
Adrian