[Dovecot] LDA + Postfix + LDAP + Sieve (Vacation): Wrong Domain in Reply

Kendall Gifford zettabyte at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:55:57 EEST 2010

Hello everyone.

I'm running dovecot (1.2.9) with postfix (2.7.0) on an ubuntu 10.04.1.
I'm hosting mail for several domains and using the dovecot local
delivery agent. Everything has been working great.

However, today I set up a sieve script to send out-of-office replies
(vacation) for one of our users. I tested it and got the response just
fine. However, when looking at the "From" header of the auto-reply, I
noticed that the domain name was wrong.

My postfix master.cf line for doing local delivery is:

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=mail:mail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender}
-d ${user}@${nexthop}

My LDA configuration is:

protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at our-primary-domain.com
  hostname = our-primary-domain.com
  mail_plugins = sieve
  quota_full_tempfail = yes
  deliver_log_format = msgid=%m: %$
  rejection_reason = Your message to <%t> was automatically rejected:%n%r
}

So, our main "administrative" domain is: my-primary-domain.com, the
mail server being mail.my-primary-domain.com. I sent an email to a
user: janedoe at my-other-domain.com and the LDA with Sieve successfully
sent me a reply. However, the "From" was: janedoe at mail instead of
janedoe at my-other-domain.

According to: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve#Vacation_auto-reply

> Vacation uses envelope sender and envelope recipient ... taken from:
>   V 1.1+
>     Envelope recipient: -a parameter to deliver if given, otherwise -d parameter to deliver. If neither is given (delivering to system users), the $USER environment is used.

Just for kicks I tried changing my master.cf to use -a instead of -d
but then all mail delivers to user "mail" completely breaking all mail
delivery. Anyhow, vacation auto-responders are fundamental to
operations here and we manage mail for several separate companies. We
need the "From" address to reflect the domain of the actual company.
I'm stumped as to why sieve isn't getting/using the envelope sender's
domain. I'm hoping someone here can point out (a hopefully obvious)
mistake.

I've attached my four pertinent config files as etc.tgz only slightly scrubbed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Kendall Gifford
zettabyte at gmail.com