[Dovecot] Possible bug with proxy in 2.0.4

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Sep 30 01:03:09 EEST 2010

  Hi, I *think* there might be an auth/proxy bug in 2.0.4

Specifically I cloned my 1.2 virtual machine, upgraded the clone to
2.0.4 and tested it by trying to login using CRAM-MD5.   I get the errors:

Sep 29 22:50:23 mail_test dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth
failed, 1 attempts): user=<demo at abc.com>, method=CRAM-MD5, rip=x.x.x.x,
lip=x.x.x.x, mpid=0, TLS
Sep 29 22:50:30 mail_test dovecot: auth: mysql: Connected to mysql-local
(postfix)
Sep 29 22:50:30 mail_test dovecot: imap-login: Error: proxy: password
not given: user=<demo at abc.com>, method=CRAM-MD5, rip=x.x.x.x,
lip=x.x.x.x, mpid=0, TLS

Interestingly the config here (accidently as it happens) causes the
connection to use the dovecot "proxy" feature back to the original 1.2
machine.  I updated my config so that everything stays on the 2.0.4
machine and authentication proceeds normally, messages about generating
MD5 hash from the DB, etc, logged in ok.

I then change the configuration so that the 2.0.4 machine proxies the
connection back to the 1.2 machine (again) and try to login to the 2.0.4
machine and get the same errors as above.  Seems like the error is only
when proxying (needless to say, the old 1.2 machine works fine with CRAM
and that's how it's normally accessed, so also does the 2.0.4 machine,
it's only proxying one to the other which isn't apparently working?)

It's late and so I haven't managed to probe the 1.2 machine too much,
but initially looking at the log files I don't see any evidence of the
2.0.4 machine actually contacting it?

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Ed W