[Dovecot] LMTP proxy too many DATA output timeout (perhaps)

Luca Palazzo luca.palazzo at unict.it
Thu Sep 30 10:33:33 EEST 2010

Timo,
I can also confirm that when this happens (connection drop after
timeout) the mail is partially delivered to user (sometime blank email,
or partial content, i've see a 20mb mail delivered multiple time and
resulting in different sizes).

On 09/13/2010 02:06 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 09:18 +0200, Luca Palazzo wrote:
>> we are getting a lot of this message from dovecot director. They seem to
>> be too many.
>> Backend servers do not log anything and postfix logs a lot of these errors.
>> It seems that dovecot strategy handgling data output timeout when
>> proxying LMTP is or too aggressive or may have some other problem.
>
> I guess you could try if simply increasing the timeout helps. You need
> to recompile though:
>
> src/lmtp/commands.c line 36:
>
> #define LMTP_PROXY_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT_MSECS (1000*30)
Denitively, it does not help.

>> Another symptom, maybe related to duplicate uid patch, is that we are
>> receiving blank email.
I UID patch has nothing to do with blank email, i'm pretty sure that the
problem is in lmtp proxying.

> What patch do you still have? I think v2.0.2 fixed the duplicates?
Sorry, i miss this... Yes i've no dups problem, Many thanks

Luca