[Dovecot] Does Dovecot 2 need more ressources than 1 ?

Frank Bonnet f.bonnet at esiee.fr
Mon Apr 4 11:09:56 EEST 2011

On 04/04/2011 09:50 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Frank Bonnet put forth on 4/4/2011 2:37 AM:
>
>> Switching for Dovecot 1 to 2,  I noticed the machine respond
>> slower to users requests , of course it works but response
>> times are a bit longer.
> Please provide data that demonstrates the difference in response times.
>  Also please tell us what other changes you made when switching from 1.x
> to 2.x, such as conversion from mbox to maildir or dbox, implementing
> LDA, LMTP, sieve, etc.
>
> 2.x should be no slower on the same hardware compared to 1.x

I did not change format ( MBOX )
I use IMAP IMAPS POP3 POP3S

Before I switched I removed all .imap cache directories

The machine is a proliant DL380G7 with 12 Gb RAM
with FreeBSD 8.2-Release , approx 4000 users ( real )
often running 1000 imap processes.

how does Dovecot 2 compute machine's load ( if it does ) ?