[Dovecot] Encoding dovecot keywords

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Apr 9 01:24:11 EEST 2011

On 9.4.2011, at 0.50, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

> Because only mailboxes are encoded in Modified UTF-7.  There is no
> equivalent encoding for keywords.

Right.

> Keywords are *not* meant to be
> directly viewable by an end-user.  Converting between a keyword and
> the representation displayed to the user is the job of the MUA.

I don't really agree with that though. It's kind of stupid to have server-side keywords if user still has to configure each client to specify what they mean. It would have been nice if keywords had been strings instead of atoms.

I've been thinking about some day maybe trying to create some kind of a standard for keywordUTF7 <-> UTF8 translation.