[Dovecot] expire-tool skipping mailbox

Alex Reinhart alex at scienceforums.net
Fri Apr 15 23:15:41 EEST 2011

Hello,

I have dovecot set up with expire-tool to nuke Junk messages greater than 30 days old. On a server with many user accounts, it seems to work on most of them.

However, on my user account, expire-tool skips my Junk folder entirely, despite it containing messages from January of this year. Here is the expire-tool --test output:

Info: alex at scienceforums.net/Junk: timestamp 1284027481 (Thu Sep  9 05:18:01 2010) -> 1304023056 (Thu Apr 28 15:37:36 2011)

Then it skips to the next mailbox. (Note that I intentionally set the timestamp back to force it to consider my mailbox.) I don't understand why it doesn't want to expunge my 2700 junk messages when it will expunge several thousand in other accounts happily. The expire plugin has been enabled for probably over a year, so all of the messages should be tracked.

My only hypothesis is that it has something to do with variables in the mail_location; however, mail_location should be overridden by a user_query, though that contains variables too. Would this account for the issue? It seems unlikely, since other users on the server work just fine.

dovecot -n output for the interested:

# 1.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-24-server x86_64 Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS ext3
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: managesieve imaps pop3s
listen(default): *:143
listen(imap): *:143
listen(pop3): *:110
listen(managesieve): *
ssl_listen(default): *:993
ssl_listen(imap): *:993
ssl_listen(pop3): *:995
ssl_listen(managesieve):
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot//login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_executable(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve-login
first_valid_uid: 150
last_valid_uid: 150
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%u
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_executable(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve
mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota expire
mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota expire
mail_plugins(pop3): quota expire
mail_plugins(managesieve):
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(managesieve): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/managesieve
lda:
  mail_plugins: quota sieve expire
  postmaster_address: postmaster at xyloid.org
  sendmail_path: /usr/lib/sendmail
  auth_socket_path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
  sieve_global_path: /etc/dovecot/sieve.global
auth default:
  user: nobody
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 432
      user: vmail
      group: mail
plugin:
  quota: dict:user::proxy::quotadict
  quota_rule: *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2: Trash:storage=10%%
  quota_rule3: Junk:ignore
  sieve: /var/vmail/%d/%n/dovecot.sieve
  expire: Trash 7 Trash/* 7 Junk 30
  expire_dict: proxy::expire
dict:
  quotadict: mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-quota.conf
  expire: mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-expire.conf

And dovecot-dict-expire.conf:

connect = host=localhost dbname=mail user=mail password=[password]

map {
  pattern = shared/expire/$user/$mailbox
  table = expires
  value_field = expire_stamp