[Dovecot] Running mailfront under dovecot2.x service supervision

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 20 18:08:29 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 03:23 -0700, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:

> I'm trying to run mailfront SMTP (http://untroubled.org/mailfront/) under
> Dovecot 2.x process/service supervision
>
> My intention was to utilize the fact that dovecot2.x seems to have some kind
> of generic process/service supervision as well as builtin ssl support.
> But I cannot get the most simple generic service setup (without ssl) to
> work.
>
> service smtp-auth {
>         executable = /usr/local/bin/smtpfront-qmail

The services have to be written explicitly for Dovecot, using Dovecot's
lib-master library.

Is smtpfront-qmail trying to use inetd-style execution? Maybe Dovecot
could some day support that, but it's not really in my near future
plans.

> PS: Now I know that I could use daemontools or such for this task - but I
> like the dovecot ssl handling and would like to end up by wrapping this smtp
> service inside same dovecot ssl that I use for IMAPS.

Also the service is supposed to do the SSL itself internally, so you
really can't do any of this.