[Dovecot] help with MYSQL and dovecot

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Wed Apr 20 18:37:58 EEST 2011

Hello all:
I understand I can't provide to much information; at the moment, I do
not have dovecot installed. Here is the problem.
I started out running saslauthd, but there appears to be a problem where
memory isn't freed after someone fails to authenticate, which leads to a
huge dos attack. I hit this problem a couple of times, and it looks like
some poor lonely soul (or bot, as it may be) with no life decided to go
after my server again today.
I had previously tried to configure dovecot, but I have an odd mysql
setup, so it was particularly dificult. I am leaving out of town
tomorrow afternoon and will not have internet, so I want to make sure
this is going to be running as it should be. Here is the info from the
dovecot configuration file for mysql. It was giving an error about
"username" when I tried to run this. If someone can't spot the problem
from this, I will disable courier and reinstall dovecot tonight so I can
get the exact error.
userdb static {
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%d/%n
password_query = select email as user, password,\
home AS userdb_home, uid AS userdb_uid, gid AS userdb_gid \
from users where email = '%u'
user_query = \
   SELECT home AS userdb_home, uid AS userdb_uid, gid AS userdb_gid \
   FROM users WHERE email = '%n';
}
And here is the describe for both tables:
mysql> describe users;
+----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| email    | varchar(80) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| password | varchar(20) | NO   |     | NULL    |       |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

--
mysql>  describe domains;
| Field  | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| domain | varchar(50) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |